History

Sherburn House Charity was founded by Bishop of Durham Hugh Pudsey (Hugh le Puiset) as 'Christ's Hospital in Sherburn' around 1181. Its original purpose was as a leper hospital for 'up to 65 leprous monks and nuns'. 

To commemorate the 800th Anniversary of the charity in 1981, the Governors commissioned Dr. Clifton W. Gibby to write a short history. While our supplies of the printed original booklet are exhausted, we  make the full text of this history is available on this website.

History index...